Kitchen remodeling was one of the most desired home projects in 2017 and it’s a good way to add value to your home. But, you want to make sure that you are setting yourself up for success before ripping out your floors and tearing down your kitchen cabinets. Follow these do’s and don’ts to create the dream kitchen you’ve always wanted the right way:
- Conduct research to ensure the contractor you’ve selected is qualified for the job. Browse reviews online, ask your friends and peers for recommendations, and don’t settle just because one contractor has the lowest bid.
- Identify your kitchen must-haves—is energy efficiency important to you? Have a particular finish or countertop material? Do you want technologically-advanced appliance controls?
- Evaluate what an ideal floor plan for your kitchen would look like. Keep it functional and efficient with sufficient storage and countertop space that fits your needs and the needs of your household. What function do you want this space to serve? What do you use your kitchen for most? Cooking? Entertaining? Gathering with your family?
- Keep all your receipts. Save the receipts in a safe place to pull out when filing your taxes or to use if you plan to sell your home in the future.
- Focus only on the aesthetic of your new kitchen—shiny countertops or a perfect color palette aren’t the most important things about your new kitchen. Make sure the quality of your cabinets, countertops and replacement windows is high to keep your kitchen functioning efficiently for years to come.
- Forget to consider the budget! Remain on budget by prioritizing based on your needs and what features are most important to you. We recommend budgeting at least 10 percent more than what you think you’ll need so you can cover unforeseen costs during the remodeling process.
- Forget to assess the windows! Pella has a range of excellent kitchen window styles that can bring together an entire kitchen remodel.
One of the most important items of a kitchen remodeling project is the windows—they allow light into your space, set the tone for the room and deliver you a gateway to the outdoors, which is especially nice when there’s a cool breeze on a summer day. If you are interested in replacement windows as a part of your kitchen remodel, give our professionals at Pella a call at 866-539-4196, stop by our North Carolina showroom or arrange an in-home consultation with us online so we can help you pick out the right replacement windows for your kitchen needs.